What is your favourite multiplication method? Mine is Napier Bones!
What is the Activity?
The use of Napier Bones method named after John Napier, can be used to develop the teaching and learning of multiplication across a range of abilities. It serves as an alternative method to allow learners to multiply numbers easily with only only know your times 1 to 9 times tables! Look at the example below.
Please leave a comment on how you use the resource in the comments section below. What is your favourite method for multiplication?
How can it be used?
- Starter Task.
- Main Task.
- Plenary Task.
- Get learners to create their own Napier bones system.
- Use the method a part of a more challenging topic on number.
- Can be used in any lesson across a range of different subjects.
How does it impact Teaching and Learning?
- Task and lesson becomes highly engaging and accessible.
- Can be used as an introduction to a more challenging topic.
- Can show learners that multiplying large numbers can me easy.
- Makes the activity or lesson fun and memorable.