Do you know how to square large numbers that end in 5? Mind Blown!
What is the Activity?
The squaring of a number that ends in 5 activity can be used to develop the teaching and learning of multiplication across a range of abilities. It serves as a little but if fun to start or end a lesson. Even use to impress your friends at dinner parties. Look at the example below to see how it is done.
Please leave a comment on how you use the resource in the comments section below. What is your favourite method for multiplication and squaring numbers, and do not say a calculator?
How can it be used?
- Starter Task.
- Main Task.
- Plenary Task.
- Get learners to test this method on larger numbers that end with 5.
- Use the method a part of a more challenging topic on number.
- Can be used in any lesson across a range of different subjects.
How does it impact Teaching and Learning?
- Task and lesson becomes highly engaging and accessible.
- Can be used as an introduction to a more challenging topic.
- Can show learners that squaring big large numbers can be made easy.
- Makes the activity or lesson fun and memorable.