How do I manage pupil behaviour?
There is no one solution to this and success will depend on school, class, pupil, environment, your mood and a whole host of factors!
It is important that you analyse your school’s behaviour management policy but the following discipline policy sanctions can be highlighted;
- Give extra work to be completed after school or at home.
- Verbal chastisement after lesson or after school.
- Form Tutor’s detention with 24 hours notice.
- Subject Teacher’s detention/with 24 hours notice.
- Departmental detention with 24 hours notice.
- Faculty detention with 24 hours notice.
- School detention. This can only be issued by the Senior House Tutor/Head of Faculty or by a senior member of staff and must have 24 hours notice.
- Head Master’s detention. This can only be issued only by the Head Master or a senior member of staff with 24 hours notice.
- Use of individual daily report sheets issued by Senior House Tutor. This is then overseen by Form Tutor or Senior House Tutor.
- Use of class report sheets which is issued by Senior House Tutor.
- Exclusion from a lesson.
- Fixed term exclusion. In the case of exclusions exceeding 2 days, work should be set.
- Chairman of Governors’ warning.
- Permanent exclusion, involving the Governing Body and the School Attendance Panel
Feel free to add your own points in the comments section.