Homework is paramount to ensure learners consolidate learning in the classroom. Through observing other teachers and advice I have developed the following strategies when setting homework;
- Do not set homework for the sake of setting homework
- Homework should consolidate learning in the classroom
- Make sure you set a maximum amount of time that is spent on a piece of work
- Encourage independent learning.
- Define a homework time table indicating when homework should be set and collected.
- Record results of homework in a personal planner to refer to at parents evening and to assess progress.
- Try to vary the task, including setting some online homework to develop ICT skills.
- Stay on top of marking, make sure homework is marked with constructive and instant feedback.